- Message Navigation: Navigate all messages via up/down swiping. A special indicator will display showing the difference between replies within a thread/conversation and entirely new emails.
- Landscape Composing: Self explanatory – landscape keyboard/compose window now enabled.
- Create/Edit Folders: Now Sparrow for iPhone users can create and edit their email services folders/filters from within the app. No more heading online to make those important changes.
- Language Support: Sparrow 1.2 now supports 9 languages including: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Russian, and Chinese
The above features are certainly great, and make an already great app even better. But for many of you out there, the real hold-up to fully adopting Sparrow is the lack of Push Notifications. Previously, the team promised that they would bring Push Notifications to Sparrow for iPhone “with or without Apple” — referencing a petition that the Sparrow team started to ask Apple to allow exceptions to a VoIP API that would make push on Sparrow much easier and affordable. So what did Apple say? Unsurprisingly they denied Sparrow’s request/petition.
The state of push on Sparrow (per Sparrow team):
“You were more than 16 000 helping us on our Apple quest to get the VoIP privilege. We can’t thank you enough for your support. Unfortunately, Apple has confirmed that they are not willing to do any exception to the rule and that Sparrow will NOT be granted with the privilege.”
We still recommend Sparrow as one of the best Mail.app replacements despite it’s lack of Push Notifications. Still, we are eagerly awaiting for the highly anticipated feature addition as it’s still on the table for a future update.
Give Sparrow 1.2 a shot and let us know what you think!
- Download: Sparrow for iPhone (iTunes Link)
More: Sparrow Mail Blog