iPhone OS 3.0 on non-3GS devices slow, stuttery, and just plain terrible?

Posted June 23rd, 2009 at 6:30 am

slow_iphone_update

While many people took the time, money, and resources to upgrade to the new iPhone 3GS, some of us who either weren’t compelled enough by the minor updates or simply didn’t have the money stayed behind. One of the best parts about the coming of the new iPhone was the release of iPhone OS 3.0 which brought with it numerous enhancements for legacy users of older iPhones. The initial honeymoon was great. People were affixed to their devices trying out all of the new features that 3.0 brought. However, spending a few minutes on Google will show you that in the last few days, the inter webs are full of horror stories and tales that the honeymoon may potentially be over.

I for one am not impressed with the speed of 3.0 on my iPhone 3G. I’ve reinstalled 3.0 three times from a full restore and it still lags more than should be legal when rearranging apps, opening and closing programs, and even simply waiting for the keyboard to automatically orient itself when tilted. Of course I’ve gone through and update apps to their latest versions, but the issues still remain. Not to mention, an outdated app wouldn’t cause my entire springboard to crawl like a toddler with one leg. *sick…maybe…funny…ehhhhhh* But it doesn’t stop there. Other users are reporting broken apps, apps that are so slow and laggy they’re worthless to use, and copious amounts of battery drain, (thankfully I haven’t witnessed this little problem yet…*knocks on wood*). So are you still as happy with 3.0 as you were on launch day? Or are you ready to pull your hair out/downgrade? Hopefully Apple pushes out an update to remedy the issues…and fast!

So how are you fairing? Are you using an iPhone 1st Gen or an iPhone 3G. Heck, are you packin’ an iPod Touch 1st/2nd Gen? Is your battery getting owned and apps a crashin’? It’s ok…you can talk to me below.

Image Source

Discover and Share

• Dan
    July 9, 2009 at 6:17 pm

OK, that’s great, I thought my phone was just going crazy on me. I guess we’re just going to sit and take it . . . Apple, Apple, Apple . . .

• Jakthebomb
    July 9, 2009 at 5:45 am

Let’s not forget about the wifi issues since the 3.0 update. It spradicly will go from 3bars to 1bar then disconect. My lappy is at a full 5 bars at all times indicating that it is not my network. Some say that you need to change from wpa2 to either wep or wpa. I say we cannot accept fail as an option. I am on my 5th iPhone replacement, the first 3 had a physical defect where the top sleep button would sink into the device. And the 4th one would be very low in volume. To the point I could not hear the other person. I am not supprised that apple screwed us loyal owners by wanting us to upgrade to the lattest "wares". But after advertising the new 3gs as twice as fast one has to wonder if apple did not purposly sabatosh the previous iPhones to make the new one look better. This will be my last iPhone as it does not suit my needs.

July 9, 2009 at 6:49 am

OH god, don’t even get me started on the WiFi issues. Hopefully 3.1 will fix the problem. At my house I have low signal and relied on WiFi for many things. Now I have to limp along as my phone constantly hops between no signal, EDGE, and 3G. Come on Apple.

• Rob Liano
    June 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I too have to agree. Texting has slowed, apps slowed, basically everything possible on the original (gangsta) iPhone since the 3.0 upgrade has s l o w e d d o w n.

I guess it’s like when you load new stuff into and old computer. I expect more from Apple though.

• drdaz
    June 28, 2009 at 11:53 am

zer0tilt: I just installed SimpleDraw, and you’re right! My close animation was non-existent, and after using SimpleDraw for about half a minute, it’s back!

Utterly bizarre. Would love to see the source and figure out what resource it’s freeing up… Apple needs to look at this.

• zer0tilt
    June 27, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Found it! Seems SimpleDraw (Free) from AppleStore is the magic application! My iPhone 3.0 becomes dog slow in open/close apps after a shortwhile of using. I then open up SimpleDraw use it for 5 seconds changing thickness and color and my iPhone would be super fast after that, does not matter what app, all is fast, then after a while (using Safari?) it becomes slow again, all I need to do is run SimpleDraw and all is fast again. Let me know if there is anyone else experiencing similiar results/symptoms?

• zer0tilt
    June 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Something happened, after I demo’ed most of my 30 applications, my iPhone was as fast as 2.2.1 again but running 3.0, whatever was funny seems to have been some setting after restoring most of my apps and music and now she is flying again, my prayers of my iPhone becoming fast a day later was heard by the Apple gods. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

• Ryetech
    June 26, 2009 at 8:42 pm

OS 3.0 is ok, except safari. It is slow and choppy, and the new address bar is always in the way. Also, the stupid copy/paste menus are always in the way while trying to scroll.

Very annoying.

• zer0tilt
    June 26, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I absolutely agree. It may be false hope I have to think my iPhone that was seemeingly faster the past week after upgrading and all of a sudden much slower the past day (same complaints you aired), will magically fix themselves tomorrow. Slowness in opening apps, closing apps, waiting for v-keyboards to pop-up, general strange behaviour in certain apps and phone speed (even bootup time). Somehow I get the feeling it has to do with Applications. Run vanilla 3.0 and all flies well, add all my previous apps etc and things really slowed down all of a sudden. Me too sincerely hope Apple (or third party app developers) fix this asap.

• Gabi
    June 26, 2009 at 3:33 am

My battery now drains like hell… 2x Faster than 2.x.x (You see? Something it is faster! The battery draining!), rearranging icons it’s like a LG Prada :) ) - Incredibly slow. Since I don’t have money for a 3GS (700EUR for 1 better camera and 1 better processor, c’mon Apple! Fuck off! with 700EUR I can buy a SH iMac 20″), I think I will either downgrade or change my phone, I hope Apple will do something about this!

• CameronMac
    June 26, 2009 at 12:39 am

Ugh, I’m on a 2G Touch, Slower WiFi connection, slower load times for apps, The worst part is the seemingly solution less “Download Error. Tap to retry” When trying to Download a movie. I wasn’t impressed to find out that I had to pay for an update, and now I find out I’m worse off then I was before? You’d think I was dealing with Micro$oft or something >_<

• calgirl2
    June 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Hi. I totally agree with you! I posted my rant at the apple forum regarding this very issue