10 of the most mind numbingly pointless gadget combos created by human beings…

Posted December 7th, 2009 at 6:53 am

Want a completely useless gadget that could get you killed? Check out the TASER-Mp3 player combo. At first it may seem like a good idea. Masking a self defense and publicly undesirable object with something that every loves — an mp3 player. I thought the whole point of a tazer was to protect your from surroundings that were inhabited by less than friendly individuals? Now how can you pay attention in those dark, remote portions of cities with some stupid Clay Aiken song blaring into your ears? It’s simple: You can’t! Allow me to step through a scenario…

Chances are, if someone runs up behind you, they’ll do so unnoticed since you can’t hear them. Making matters worse, when you do get grabbed, a frantic battle will surely ensure in which you try to whip our your taser, get bumped, overpowered, and ultimately tasered by your own taser. Whether it was because you simply lost your footing and fell on the TASER, shocking yourself, or were overpowered by your attacker doesn’t matter. The end result could mean death if you’re one of the few people who just don’t have the heart to fight off thousands of angry electrons all gunning for your chest thumper.

See how quickly something can go wrong? Now how does that taser/mp3 player combo sound? Not lookin’ too good is it?

• See the TASER/MP3 player combo and 9 other “completely ridiculous” combos at PC World

Discover and Share

• OTB
    January 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I agree, I don’t see this thing selling too well… or working too well for that matter.

• Steve Ashley
    December 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for your response, Mike. I just followed your link to the MSN/PC World page that originated the story, and I see that their perspective is the same. Maybe I’m a little sensitive to the anti-TASER implication, being that their is so much of it.

I have to admit that, when I first saw the combo, I had a little of the same reaction, i.e. “What for…?”. Then I gave it a little more thought, and saw it as an accessory that I would want my wife or GF to have if she was out jogging, especially if her alternative was to leave her TASER at home because there was no convenient way to carry it.

That would be after I tried to convince her not to wear earbuds when running .

By the way, you may not know that TASER International has a program wherein if one of these self-defense TASERs is used by someone to defend themselves (it delivers a 30 second discharge - the idea is for the person to shoot the attacker, then lay the TASER down and escape during the 30 seconds), and the TASER is lost or stolen, TASER International will replace it at no cost.

Anyway, thanks for your quick and balanced response! I enjoy your posts very much.

Have a safe holiday.

PS - Full disclosure…I am not a full-time TASER employee, but I am a contractor (TASER Senior Master Instructor) that does TASER Instructor level training for them.

December 7, 2009 at 2:09 pm

No problem Steve. I understand the wife scenario as well. That lost or stolen deal sounds pretty sweet. Might have to pick up a couple for myself! Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you again.

• Steve Ashley
    December 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm

The mp3 player is in the holster, not the TASER. The idea is that, since joggers frequently listen to music, etc., while running (there are problems with that idea, of course, but that’s what they do), they would have a more convenient way to carry their TASER and their music player. Not everyone that jogs does so in an obviously dangerous area, but not every person a jogger encounters is friendly and harmless. AND, TASERs work well on aggressive animals, if necessary.

This item just provides an alternative for someone that wants to take their self-defense device with them, but doesn’t want to have too much gear to carry.

Your post seems geared more to be inflammatory, and an anti-TASER rant, than it does an honest evaluation of a runner’s accessory.

By the way, the word is TASER (all caps, as it’s a trademarked acronym), not tazer.

December 7, 2009 at 1:29 pm

It wasn’t meant to be inflammatory, sorry if it came across that way. In fact, I’m all for TASERs and even guns. In the case of law enforcement, if you’re told to stop multiple times and/or start putting other officers and civilians’ lives in danger, I have no problems with people using TASERs or guns to stop the suspects. In the case of an animal, well, I didn’t think of that. The fact of the matter is that I was simply trying to highlight a product that at face value seems useless and laughable to use by using a scenario that has been the butt of many TASER based/self defense jokes for some time. Saying I’m out to get TASERs or against them is foolish.

All bickering aside, consolidating gadgets is a good thing — that which this TASER/mp3 player combo excels at. Though as the HUMOROUS scenario above points out, sometimes what looks good on paper doesn’t exactly work as planned in the real world.