Opera Mini submitted to App Store for approval. Death march to soon follow?

Posted March 23rd, 2010 at 9:44 am

iPhone/iPod Touch users who spend a pretty good minute on the web, today is a day to remember, for it is the day in which Opera submitted their iPhone version of Opera Mini to the App Store. The reason for the whole show is simply because, there’s a fair chance that the ever so intelligent and common sense filled (/sarcasm) App Store approvers will reject the app. The reasoning if Apple does in fact do so isn’t anything new. They’ll simply label it as “duplicating functionality” of an app already present on the iPhone (made by Apple).

Personally I feel a bit of competition in the form of “duplicate apps” is a god send. I guess a little choice is too much. Oh well. If things go south the legitimate route, Opera can always make an even bigger statement by putting Opera Mini up on Cydia for download. That would turn some heads and piss off Apple no less.

How Apple handles this will be pretty big either way. If they accept Opera Mini, it will be a monumental change from previous claims of “duplicate functionality” and the ensuing rejections that followed. If they deny it, well, the App Store will be dead to me. Denying a clearly helpful, useful, and all around great app just because they don’t want any competition with their in-house apps is bullshit.

BGR

Bookmark and Share

Elecite BlackBerry Themes

Elecite BlackBerry Themes

• J Rock
    March 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm

So why would Apple approvers allow this crap-tastic browser to be on the App Store, but not Opera?

Vanilla Surf

actually if you look around I believe they have already allowed several other Safari replacements.

March 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm

True. But those are pretty basic, gimped browsers. Opera Mini is a full fledged replacement for Safari.

• Derek
    March 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I completely agree with you, Mike! In fact, I cannot WAIT to have Opera Mini on my iPhone! Safari really lacks, if you ask me.

Have you seen the video from Opera showcasing this app? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTCS3g-cBY

March 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

If my iPhone was still my daily driver, I’d want it on there too! Back in my BlackBerry days, Opera Mini was what kept me sane…

• Deofol
    March 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm

This is much of the reason I chose to fire sale everything Apple I own and go to Android. The fact that this would even be in question solidifies I am on the the right path. Freedom. I’m just self-righteous enough to think its something I deserve.

March 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm